Saturday, September 26, 2009

part two: Paintings by Milby High Students at Local Bank


Here's the other painting by the Milby High students that hangs on the walls of a  bank on Lawndale Avenue in Houston's East End.

The lush vegetation reminds me of Michoacan.


Sometimes I read a line in a book and say, gee, I wish I'd written that.
Sometimes I see a design, and say gee, I wish I'd designed that.
Whenever I see that moon in the grasp of the wrench, in this painting,  I always say, 
gee, I wish I'd thought of that.  
It's one powerful image inside a larger captivating scene.  



Anyone want to take a stab at the "theme" of this mural?  Just a guess, a feeling?
Help me out here.

What strikes me each time I'm in front of this painting is the strong Mood emanating from it.  That's difficult to achieve.    And this was painted by a group of  high school students. 



I hope the new bank owners continue the tradition that Laredo National Bank started by commissioning local students' artwork.
The results here are world class, and straight out of the East End of Houston.  
Laredo National Bank was always a good neighbor and business partner in our barrio.
They will be missed.


and a reader emailed me this morning (Sunday) that in yesterday's Chronicle there was an article about BBVA Compass:  wow, the guy was really steamed in his note to me.
Here's a snippet of the chron.com piece: 
BBVA Compass is the latest bank to catch the ire of customers and attorneys because of overdraft fees.
In a lawsuit filed earlier this week, Houston-based restaurant company Fat Butter accused the bank of deceptive trade practices, claiming the bank posted debits out of the order they were made so it could increase overdraft fees.
For example, the lawsuit claims the bank pushed the largest debit through its account first, creating an overdraft, and then posted other smaller debits so a fee could be assessed for each transaction.

No comments: